The CVACS (2013 Cambodian Violence Against Children Survey) revealed that violence against children is widespread in Cambodia. More than 50% of children experience physical violence, and one quarter of Cambodian children experience emotional violence. The survey also found a key role for parents and caregivers in the persistence of violence against children in Cambodia. First, parents and caregivers are common perpetrators of physical and emotional violence against children. Second, children are commonly exposed to violence between adults in the home. Among the 13-17 year olds who said they had witnessed physical violence in the home, 37.4% of females and 34.7% of males said they had witnessed such violence in the past 12 months. Third, parents and caregivers struggle to protect their children from violence in the multiple settings where children live, including the home and school.
SKILLFUL PARENTING provides a holistic approach that reinforces positive parenting practices and empowering parents/caregivers to:
- Increase positive solutions in bringing up children
- Promote and facilitate child’s health, development, achievement and protection
- Reduce stress, fewer problems, more satisfy with parenting and family life, and to preserve the couple relationship and, in general, improve family well-being and prevent unnecessary child-family separation.
FACILITATOR TRAINING ON SKILLFUL PARENTING:
- Build the capacity of your staff to work with parents and caregiver more effectively.
- Improve the quality of their work with children, families, and communities.
FACILITATOR TRAINING ON FAMILY BUDGETING:
- Understand implication of family budgeting.
- Support parents to better income and expenses, to deal with debts & emergencies and to raise financially literate for children.
STAFF TRAINING ON SKILLFUL PARENTING FOR REINFORCING CHILD PROTECTION GUIDELINE:
- Build the capacity of your staff to reinforce practice of child protection guideline of your organization.
- Reduce your staff’s stresses that may affect their productivity in work.
EMPOWER VULNERABLE PARENTS ON POSITIVE PARENTING:
- Assist your organization’s vulnerable parents with higher facilitation of child development and family well-being.
- Promote of satisfaction of family-based care and prevent unnecessary family separation.
HOW DOES SKILLFUL PARENTING WORK FOR PARENTS/CAREGIVERS?
Under guidance of a professional facilitator, parents/caregivers are provided with a safe platform for discussion and sharing on different topics. The work with parent peer groups ensures social comparison, joint reflection and ongoing support.
The components of the behavior change model for Skillful Parenting are addressed in the different modules below: providing knowledge, addressing the risks of not providing adequate care and protection to children, and strengthening parents’ belief that they can take action to change (self-efficacy).
Parenting is strongly influenced by culture, history and other contextual factors. This program does not aim to tell parents “this is how you have to do it” but rather wants to help parents in their task of raising children by choosing what works best for them and their family.
Family Budgeting model focuses on the main challenge to manage money: behavior changes, self-motivation and community/family impact, and uses highly participatory methods in order to increase what participants implement.
Provide technical support for MoWA in development of Positive Parenting Strategy and Toolkits
Provide capacity development of national and sub-national government officials, and like-minded CSOs’ social workers on Positive Parenting
Deliver targeted group-based parenting support for parents and caregivers in communities where are at risk of family-child separation and violence against children.